At the corner of Monroe St. and Detroit in Toledo, there now sits a shopping center. Sixty plus years ago, this location was at the heart of Toledo's baseball tradition, Swayne Field. It was the home of the Toledo Mud Hens from 1909 until the team disbanded in 1955, leaving Toledo without a minor league baseball team until 1965 when a new Mud Hens team would return and start playing at Ned Skeldon Stadium. Swayne field was torn down following that 1955 season as the upper level was condemned, however, part of Swayne Field still remains to this day. Part of the outfield wall still remains in the alley behind the shopping center that exists on this location now.
Content Goes Here